Elastic coaster Introduction.
An action-based hands-on project to learn about elastic potential energy, how can it be used in performing tasks, and how energy is converted from one form into another. Different household materials will be used to understand elastic potential energy and its conversion from one form to another form. The activity will also help students to develop their hands-on skills, design, and construction of the coaster.
- Build a model that stores potential energy and releases kinetic energy.
- Explain that energy is not created or destroyed, but rather converted from one form to another.
- Coin Battery
- Rubber Band
Note: Material is Also available on sciencestore.pk https://sciencestore.pk/product/stem-kit-4-0/
Steps of Construction
- Take 4 straws and make sure they are of equal size, if not then trim the ends to make them equal.
- Make approximately 5-6 cuts of 5mm with equal spacing at both ends of straw, repeat it with each straw.
- Press those cuts on the outer side of the straw so it will look like a small flower.
- Using a hot glue gun, stick those 4 straws to the edge of a CD in plus shape.
- Stick the other CD on the opposite side with the glue gun, the straws must be straight and aligned.
- Take a popsicle stick and make 2 pieces of 2 inches each.
- With two rubber bands, tie the metal nut tightly at the center as shown below,
- Pass one end of the rubber band through-hole of a CD and put the piece of popsicle stick as a stopper.
- Repeat the step with the other end and stick both pieces with the glue gun to the CD.
- Now glue two coin batteries in the center, one at either CD with the positive side facing upward.
- Before playing with your coaster, make sure you attached the LEDs to the battery.
- The LEDs should be connected as a positive leg with the positive terminal of the battery and negative with the other side.
- Potential Energy: Stored energy in an object due to its position (i.e. in relation to the ground) or condition (i.e. stretched or compressed in a spring or elastic band).
- Kinetic Energy: The energy of a moving object. Potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when an object is acted upon by a force.