What is DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid)
DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) supplies genetic information which determines as to what kind of creature and what characters would be formed in any living organism. Deoxyribonucleic acid, a self-replicating material present in almost all living organisms as the main component of chromosomes.
How to extract DNA Deoxyribonucleic acid From chicken liver
DNA is easily to be cut by physical instinct because of a long chain structure. Therefore, need to stir gently. Operate quickly! Because there is a DNA resolve enzyme in cells. Since there is a surface-active agent in liquid detergent, the detergent destroys cell membrane and protein.
Chicken liver 50g, Ice cold pure ethanol 500ml, Acetorein ( Acetocarmine), Blender, Beaker (1000ml, 200ml), Glass bar, Cotton gauze, Ice
2mol/l NaCl solution (NaCl 60g, Water 500ml) Detergent solution (Liquid detergent 1push, Water 200ml)
- Blend frozen chicken liver in the blender for 3 minutes.
- Divide 30ml liver juice for each group.
- Add 30ml of 2mol/l NaCl solution and stir it gently.
- Boiling (3)liquid for 5minutes.
- Filtrating (4)liquid by cotton gauze immediately and cooling by ice.
- Pour ice cold pure ethanol (double the amount of (5)liquid) gently along the glass bar.
- After a few seconds, white fibers ( look like cotton ) appear in the ethanol layer.( It is DNA.)
- Stain the white fibers by acetorcein (acetocarmine).
Extraction of DNA From chicken liver