INTRODUCTION: How To Make Rubber Band Powered Helicopter
Making an aero plane, glider or a Make Rubber Band Powered Helicopter is always being great fun and worth learning science project. It helps the student to learn about different mechanical, aero dynamical and design aspects of air vehicles and science behind their design and material selection. The activity relates mechanical and aeronautical engineering and helps the students to learn about mechanism of Helicopter flight and its aerodynamics.
Watch Video tutorial:
MATERIAL REQUIRED for Rubber Band Powered Helicopter
- Disposable cup
- Rubber band
- Small beads
- Piece of plastic file.
- A pair of Scissors
- Paper tape
- Craft stick
- Thumb pin
Rubber Band Powered Helicopter
STEPS OF CONSTRUCTION
How To Make Rubber Band Powered Helicopter
Step 01: Making of Propellers
- Take a disposable cup and cut 4 propeller blades out of it, they must be mirror image of one another in pairs.
- From the plastic file, cut a strip of 1cm×10cm and divide it into 4 pieces i.e. 2.5cm×1cm.
- With the help of paper tape fix the piece to the propeller leaving half of it, fix all 4 in the same manner.
- Cut two 1 inch pieces of craft stick with the help of scissors or cutter.
- Fix two propeller wings to a piece of craft stick in such a way that they should be in opposite direction and slightly tilted.
- Fix the other two wings in the same manner and put some elfy in both propellers (note that the orientation of both propellers should be opposite in direction).
- Cut the blades of lower propeller from the end i.e. 1 cm.
Step 02: Making of Propelling Mechanism
- Take a paper clip and with the help of plier straighten it and at the one end make a hook.
- With the help of thumb pin, make a hole in the center of the upper propeller. Cut a small piece of 1cm×1cm from the plastic file and make a hole in the center of it.
- Pass the hook from the piece and pass 2 beads and then pass the upper propeller from it, bend it from the upper end and put some elfy in it in such a manner that beads should move freely.
- Tie two rubber band together to make a chain, pass the rubber band through the straw. Hook one end of the rubber band and pass the lower propeller from the other end.
- Fix the lower end with the help of paper tape.
How It Works:
Energy is stored in the sport rubber by winding the propeller. When flown, the rubberband rapidly releases its energy by unwinding, which turns both the propeller blades. As the propeller spins rapidly, it begins to create lift by pushing air downward. With enough energy, the helicopter fly in whatever direction it is pointing.