Elements, Compounds and Mixtures
Question 1: Say some names of mixtures in daily life.
Question 2: Say some names of pure substances in daily life.
charcoal, filter paper, funnel
Fill half a glass with water. Put one table spoons of carbon activated (charcoal) and stir. Take a circular filter paper. Fold it twice. Now open these folds in such a way that three layers come on one side and one on the other side. It will make a cone. Take a funnel and wet its inner side with water. Now fit this paper cone in the funnel and place this funnel in a glass. Pour it slowly through the funnel.
Question:What is the color of the filtrate?
(a) Black (Same as before)(b) Black but lighter than before(c) Clear water
: Filtration by using toilet paper
Question:If you change a filter paper to toilet paper,what is the color of the filtrate?
(a) Black (Same as previous one)
(b) Black but lighter than previous one
(c) Clear water
Filtration of salted water
Materials: glass, salt, funnel, filter paper
Fill a half of a glass with water. Put a spoon full of salt and stir. Pour it slowly through a funnel with a filter paper.
Question: How is the filtrate taste?
(a) It is salty. (b) It has no taste.
Filtration of Cola
Materials: Glass, cola, filter paper, funnel.
Fill a half of a glass with cola. Pour it slowly through a funnel with a filter paper.
Question: What is the color of the filtrate?
(a) It is brown same as previous cola. (b) It has no color. It will lose its color.
Separation of salt from ‘Achaar’
Materials: Achaar, spoons, spirit lamp,
Question: ‘Achaar’ contains a lot of salt. Can you separate salt from ‘Achaar’?
Write down your ideas in the prediction on the next page. Write all process to separate. Discuss with each other.
Hint: Salt is nonflammable
Most organic compounds are flammable.
(1) Cut achaar as small as possible with a cutter.
(2) Put it on a table spoon.
(3) Burn it completely with a spirit lamp.
(4) After burning put all ashes and charcoal into a plastic cup.
(5) Pour a little amount of water in the plastic cup and stir it well.
(6) Put the black liquid on another table spoon and heat it.
(7) Vaporize the water and the residue is salt.
Latest posts by Abdul Rauf (see all)
- DIY Science Project Make RFID Door Lock - February 17, 2020
- Top 7 Wind Energy Working Model of Science Fair Project - January 16, 2020
- DIY Science Project: Wind Turbine Science Fair Project - January 16, 2020