How can the energy of sound cause something to move?
This activity shows that sound can actually do work. It can make something move. Energy is transferred from one guitar to other by sound waves. And the strings of the second guitar vibrate. The two guitars should be tuned alike so the vibrating frequency is the same for the two sets of strings.
- Two guitars
- Be sure the two guitars are tuned alike.
- Stand the two guitars face to face, about 5-10 cm (2-4 in.) part.
- Strum the strings of one guitar. After two or three seconds, silence the strings of the guitar you strummed by putting your hand on them.
- Listen carefully to the other guitar.
- What do you hear? How did it happen?
Share your results with us www.forum.paksc.org